You may want to change your eating habits for the first few days while you get used to your new braces. Here are 5 great ideas you may want to try.
1. Have a smoothie. Smoothies are great option for a delicious snack. Throw whatever you like in a blender and add protein to make it more filling. Here’s an example of a healthy smoothie recipe.
Add to a blender:
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, raspberries, or cherries
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey or to taste
- Blend until completely smooth, serve in a big glass with a straw and enjoy!
2. Soft Choices. Try something soft but delicious like fish, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. Soups, chili, pudding, oatmeal and yogurt are all good choices during your first few days with braces.
3. Proteins. Non-tough meats like lunch meats, meatballs, soft-cooked chicken are a good choice that are easy to chew. Seafood such as tuna, salmon or any other oily fish without bones can make a tasty, easy to chew meal.
4. Mix it up. What a perfect excuse to try some new foods huh?– some soft cheeses like munster or brie – maybe some couscous or quinoa? How about a new fruit smoothie recipe for breakfast? You should not eat apples as they are too hard, but baked apples are perfect. You may end up discovering a new everyday diet.
5. Stay on track. Don’t fall into the junk food cycle. Eating soft food doesn’t mean eating unhealthy. Here are some suggestions for meals on a typical day when you first get your braces on:
- Breakfast – Fruit smoothie and scrambled eggs
- Snack – Soft cheese or yogurt
- Lunch – Soup and a “salad” for example no to carrot sticks, but yes to carrot peeled shavings.
- Supper – Salmon, Tuna, soft veggies and mashed potatoes
- Evening snack – Baked apples
Remember to drink lots of water throughout the day and rinse after each meal and snack time.